Welcome to Real Hope In Christ. We’re Glad You’re Here.
This is our worship service for today, Sunday September 29th.
Countdown to Worship: "Happy Day," Jesus Culture.
First Music Offering: "Fear No More," Building 429.
Announcements, Prayer Requests, and Offering: Ted Yoder.
Second Music Offering: "I Will Fear No More," The Afters.
Third Music Offering: "Great Things," Phil Wickham.
Communion Service: Dana Smith.
Communion Video Offering: "The Way" Pat Barrett.
Today’s Sermon: GREATER: " The Work of the Holy Spirit," Pastor Justin Miller, Real Life Church.
Closing Prayer: Wes Smith.
Pastor Justin Miller September 29, 2019
Greater: "The Work of the Holy Spirit"
This week, we continue the series “Greater: A Study of the Holy Spirit.” In this series, the goal will be for us to get closer to God by understanding and accessing the gift of God’s Holy Spirit living in each of us.
John 16:7 New International Version (NIV)
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
9 about sin, because people do not believe in me;
10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;
11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear.
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.
15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”
1. When Jesus goes away and sends us the Advocate, what does he say the Advocate will reveal to us?
- He will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin, righteousness, and judgment.
- He’s coming to prove us wrong!
- What you’re doing is wrong.
- What you believe is wrong.
- How you’re living is wrong.
- Where you’re heading is wrong.
c. It’s not what you want to hear, but it’s what you desperately need to hear!
Proverbs 3:11-12 New International Version (NIV)
11 My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke,
12 because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in
d. It’s not your own body/life to live according to what’s right in your own eyes.
- You were bought at a price (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
- You became slaves to sin (John 8:34; Rom. 6:20)
- The Holy Spirit screams at us to warn us because he loves us.
- He tells you to look out, look up, and pay attention because he loves you!
e. He will guide you into all truth.
f. He will speak only what he hears (From Jesus).
g. He will tell you what is yet to come.
h. All that belongs to the Father is his (Jesus’).
2. Pastor Justin told a story about when he screamed to warn his young son who wasn’t paying attention while crossing a busy highway.
How is this similar to the way God warns us through the Holy Spirit?
- His son was not aware of the dangerous situation before him.
- He should have been looking out, looking up, and paying attention.
- Pastor J was yelling and screaming at him to “Look out!”
- The Holy Spirit is like this, in that he warns us of what lies ahead.
- There is danger in our poor decisions and the choices we make (Gal. 5:16-21).
- The Holy Spirit makes us aware of our wrongdoings and shows us what the consequences could be, especially when we are unaware.
- He sometimes screams “Stop!”
- The Holy Spirit does this because he loves us and he wants what’s best for us.
- When we heed his call, we are keeping in step with the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-26).
3. Pastor Justin gave an example of what the world says to our young people concerning their identity.
The world puts pressure and expectations on them when it comes to their sexuality. How does God’s plan differ from what our culture (the spirit of the world) says to people in this important area of their lives?
- God’s Crazy About You, so he calls us out of some things.
- The world says that your identity comes from your sexuality.
- The world says it wants to label you according to your sexual desires, or temptations, or preferences.
- The world wants to say “this is who you are and what you stand for.”
- Jesus says, "You are my child."
That’s your true identity. You’re my creation, my beloved, my child -that’s who you are. Be that. Rest in that. Let that be enough. Let that be who you are and inform what you do.
- God’s plan for sexual relations is between a man and a woman and within Holy Matrimony (Genesis 1:26-27; Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; Mark 10:6-9; Hebrews 13:4; 1Corinthians 6:12-20; 1 Corinthians 7:1-5; Ephesians 5:21-33).
Read: Proverbs 3:5-6 “Lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him – and He will make your paths straight.
Read: John 16:13 “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”
What is the Holy Spirit trying to say to you?
Can you hear the Voice? Do you want to hear the Voice?
Are you conforming to the world or are you being transformed by the Word?
At Real Hope In Christ our purpose is to love the Lord our God with all of our hearts and with all of our souls and with all of our minds.
Our focus begins with all the people of Citrus County and by the Grace of God we will:
Gather together to worship and celebrate God,
Grow in our knowledge and faith,
Give in love and,
Go out into the world to shine brightly with the light of salvation from our Savior Jesus Christ and tell the world what we know is true; God Loves You No Matter What!
We boldly ask God to help us shake the Earth and touch the Heavens!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.
We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you and may God bless you!